Pages

Friday, November 5, 2010

The one where I catch up....

Well, life is insanely busy, and keeping up with my blog has fallen low on my list of priorities.  However, I am going to take a few minutes to do that now.  I guess I will take a minute to tell you that I changed the name of this blog.  And if my eyes stay open long enough, I might even overhaul the cluttered design that I thought was so appealing a while back.  So, I decided to name it "The Shelf Life."  If you know me well at all, this makes perfect sense.  However, I will expound upon my reasoning.  Josh and I both have our favorite form of entertainment.  He loves LOVES movies.  In fact, even as I type, we are watching a movie.  I love LOVE books.  And I guess it is a good thing I like to read, because I have made a career out of it.  Teaching a novel requires a fresh read every time.  That is the only way that I can pull insights out and lead discussions about the book with my kids semester after semester.  So I read a set of about 6 different novels over and over and over.  And I love it!!! (However, it does slow me down from reading new books, since I am reading the same ones so many times.)  I spend time between classes looking through my Scholastic book order magazines, attempting to talk myself out of placing another order.  While Josh watches movies, I put in my earplugs in and read.  (But this is just when we are home with some free time, which is usually just an occasional weekend night.)  Since I basically relate everything in my life to a book, I thought it would be appropriate to bring a little taste of that to my blog.  Do I sound like a nerd yet?

2 comments:

Kelli and Derek Hill said...

kelli i love you. We are kindred spirits. i am in the process of getting a book/cook blog started, and this post just got my brain thinking really hard... I know you are super busy but perhaps it might interest you to make embarke on a joint venture... call it the kellibrary cafe. Two friends who get together on cyberspace to share thoughts on their favorite books and a good recipe to go with it... You are so experienced in the discussing books arena I think it would be so fun. it's just a thought. Let me know what you think. :)

Kelli and Derek Hill said...

"make embarke?" hahaha. maybe talking about lit isn't such a good idea for me since I can't even write the english language.