Pages

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Rant about Reading.

Have you ever felt like this when you have read a book?  I know that this picture is supposed to make you want to write a letter, but I think that it speaks volumes about literature.  {Get it?  Speaks volumes...about literature???  haha. A pun that could have impressed the Bard perhaps??}  When I read The Book Thief (which is a remarkable book that both topped my list and changed my life), I felt like I was a part of her story.  Or rather that she was part of my story.  Am I sounding like a weirdo?  I cried when she cried.  I smiled, sitting alone in my house, when she was happy.  I was crushed and devastated when she lost someone.  I get so emotionally attached to the characters and their stories that I begin to write them into my life.   The sad thing is that I frequently make references in conversation to the books that I have read, which makes for an especially awkward moment when noone in the room has read the book.  
I guess when you know so much about a person{character}, you just feel like they are one of your buds.  So, I guess if I consider some characters to be my "book friends", should I send them Christmas cards this year???  Well, that seems a little desperate and awkward to even mention.  But just for good measure, I'll just make a shoutout to Elizabeth Bennett, Greg Heffley, Sirius Black, Jo March, and Edmond Dantes.  Thanks for distracting me so that I don't drive my husband crazy with overwhelming attention.  You have kept me sane.  Merry Christmas. 

(I'm going to use this picture as a writing prompt inspiration for my creative writing class.  We will see what they think of it.)

2 comments:

Kelli and Derek Hill said...

LOVE this post! you're teaching a creative writing class?!?!!? so awesome! I love the book thief. no wait, I LOOOOOOVE the book thief. And i love you. merry christmas friend! and send me a christmas card even though i'm not a literary character. As much as I want to be...

Wendy said...

Oh, my newest favorite book! I don't typically re-read books, but this one I will be re-reading!